Monday, November 5, 2012

Interview transcript #2



Me:        What is the value of family in Australia?
Affton:                                The value of family means a lot to most people. Family you will have your entire life unlike these unnecessary things American's buy. For some people family might be all you have so why would you want to ruin that. 
Me:        What is your family structure like?
Afton:                                My personal family structure is that both of my parents work full time jobs. There is no stay at home mom. My grandma would watch us when we were young so both of my parents could work and make a good living for my entire family. We care deeply about each other, I respect my parents so much for all they have given me growing up. It is not easy raising three boys under the age of five at the same time.
Me:        How does your home culture differ from the United States?
Afton:                                I am not very certain at what culture means, but I can tell you that we get along much better then Americans seem too. We are very friendly people. For example, when we walk by someone of the sidewalk we at least acknowledge that they are there. Many American's seem to always be rude to one another.
Me:        What are some highlights people think of when they think of Australia? Could you also tell me about a little history?
Afton:                               Some highlights would be when we hosted the Olympic Games. That seems to be very iconic there.
Me:        What is the most famous food in Australia?
Afton:                                Kangaroo, we eat it like you eat your deer. It truly is delicious.
Me:        What are your meals like?
Afton:                               Small. We do not eat nearly as much as you do on a daily basis. Our portions are very small. We eat much healthier too.
Me:        What is the education like?
Afton:                               We have pretty much the same types of schooling as here. We go to grade school and college just like you.
Me:        Do a lot of people get to attend college?
Afton:                                Since we pretty much get paid to go to college, yes. A lot of people will do it for the money at first then realize that it was not worth and stop. That money however you do have to return. And it is a lot easier to get the money back since we get paid more and can return it faster. Also know that I have taken classes in America I can tell you that it is not as hard back home. Your grading system is very different compared to ours.
Me:        What are some of the top three social past times?
Afton:                                Concerts. Where I live concerts are huge to young people. If you don't go to the outdoor festivals you are just not living. Sports are somewhat big once you get older as well. You can go to the actual sporting events or just go sit in the bar as a group and drink and eat greasy food.
Me:        What are the different religions in Australia?
Afton:                               We basically have all the same religious genres you in America have, I have not gone to church since I was young. When you start to work you seem to never have time. When your friends stop going you stop going as well.
Me:        What are some holidays that you celebrate in Australia, and how do you celebrate them?
Afton:                                I personally do not celebrate many holidays. I do celebrate Christmas with my family just to make them happy. I do not care to get together very often and see people just for the food and gifts. I love my family dearly though.
Me:        What is the main reason you came to the U.S.?
Afton:                             I wanted to see the world someday. You have a lot of great places to visit and many chances for your education. I thought that this would be a great learning experience. People say that American's are very nice to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment