Monday, December 17, 2012

Interview transcript #4



Me:        What is the value of family in Australia?
Sara:                               To me ever since I was a young child family has truly not been that important. I came from a foster family. I had been moved four times in my 16 years of foster care living. When I was 16 years old I was able to break out and move on my own. I had moved in with some of the people I worked with while I was growing up and working at my local grocery market. I do not think that family had a big impact on me because I never really had one.
Me:        What is your family structure like?
Sara:          Like I just said, I really did not have a very good solid family structure. I grew up in so many different size families. My first foster family consisted of eight other foster children. I always felt like I was neglected. Then the second and third families were typical size with only three children. I liked my fourth family the most because I was the oldest child. I did however choose to leave this family because I was just feeling like I would be better off out on my own.                   
Me:        How does your home culture differ from the United States?
Sara:            My home culture is so completely different from yours because we do care a lot more about each other compared to Americas. As I sat at one of my friends family dinners every single person was texting or facebooking or even tweeting. I could not believe how much Americans have relied on their technology. It really makes me sick. We would never be allowed to do that at any of my homes. Family dinner times were suppose to be for family time. We actually had conversations and talked about each others days.                   
Me:        What are some highlights people think of when they think of Australia? Could you also tell me about a little history?
Sara:             I am not big on history in Australia. Yeah I know that sounds bad and all but I really never cared as I grew up. I suppose the Olympic games                  
Me:        What is the most famous food in Australia?
Sara:               By far the most famous food in Australia is Veggie-Mite. You may think it is disgusting having basically veggies in a tub like spread. It truly is amazing. It comes in like a brown paste that you just put on crackers or bread. It tastes even better when you melt some cheese on top of it.                 
Me:        What are your meals like?
Sara:                 Are meals are a lot different from yours here. We do not eat as much fast food as you all seem to. We also eat much more healthier and smaller meals. I have never eaten so much in one setting as I have since I have been here.             
Me:        What is the education like?
Sara:                Education is much easier to come by back home. It does not nearly cost as much as it does here. We also have much better programs that help you pay for college. Australia wants as many people to experience college and make their lives better so they help out so much.            
Me:        Do a lot of people get to attend college?
Sara:                   Yes, they are many people who choose to go to college verses going out and getting a job right out of high school. Our government seems to care more about our education compared to America.            
Me:        What are some of the top three social past times?
Sara:               We in Australia love our sports. We can sit and watch it with a cold beer any time of any day. I believe that watching Soccer is my personal favorite. I did enjoy watching American football however, It was completely different. But you guys take your sports very seriously. I like that about Americans.              
Me:        What are the different religions in Australia?
Sara:                  We basically have the same religions as America. I do not personally care to go to church ever. When I was in foster care we would only go to church on main holidays. That is probably why I did not care very much.            
Me:        What are some holidays that you celebrate in Australia, and how do you celebrate them?
Sara:             My personal favorite holiday to celebrate is Christmas. It has been very exciting to see how Americans celebrate it. I love all of your guys lights and parades. I think one of my favorite things here so far has been the street parades here. I do not know anyone else who would want to stand out in the freezing cold and watch lights go by just for some free candy.              
Me:        What is the main reason you came to the U.S.?
Sara:            I mainly wanted to come to the United States because it seemed to be very interesting in what I had read about it. I loved how much America has been in the news so much and I really just wanted to see what it was all about. My favorite thing about it here is how much you all seem to care about pop culture. I would have never heard about so much of all of this Hollywood drama if I were back home. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. But all in all I have seriously enjoyed my time here in America. I would love to come back sometime soon as well.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment