Sunday, September 2, 2012

Story


It’s a cool Christmas evening in Austin, Texas.  We have just arrived home from a long journey to Canada. Our family had gone up there on a fishing trip that turned bad. Once we arrived all they had were canoes, no boats left. I knew this was going to be an awfully long vacation. As I sit on the lake with my pole in the water I get a tug on my rod. My brother gets the ruler ready as I reel it in. Once it makes it was to the surface I notice that it is not a fish at all but a weird head, not human of course. To me I took this as some sort of bad luck. Once we made our way back to the villa we were staying at, I tied up our rental donkey and made my way inside. I was going to write to my grandmother about how my trip was going so far, but I had no stamps to send it to her. I started to cozy up in a very small blanket on the floor next to the fire since it was getting late. I finally realized that I was alone. I was also starving. Since I had given my brother my wallet to hold onto, I had no money to search for some place to eat. All that I could find was a bowl on chestnuts. I ate on these for nearly three days while I was left alone. Many things had happened to me. One morning I found a jar of dried fruit sitting on my doorstep. The next day was an old statue. I had no clue what these items had to do with anything. Finally on the last day of our trip my family had returned. They told me all of their stories about how they were captured by an old Chilean drummer. For some reason I could not help to think this all happened because of what I pulled out of the water on our first day. Now that we are safely back in Texas, I made it a vow to never return to that little villa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment